The Department of Medicine’s Business of Medicine Leadership Program (BMLP) is designed to provide clinical faculty and emerging leaders with a professional development opportunity that increases business acumen, leadership skills and expertise.
Academic physician leaders will develop and secure skills that match system and departmental alignment needs:
- Develop a toolkit of skills to enhance business acumen and leadership.
- Leverage knowledge in order to position ideas more persuasively, increase team productivity and lead others more effectively.
- Strengthen overall business acumen and gain a better understanding of financial acumen, including the key frameworks, models and levers that drive organizational success.
- Increase innovation capability via the development of an “intrapreneur” mindset, system and roadmap.
- Incorporate Lean in the academic and practice arena.
TIME COMMITMENT AND SUPPORT
The program will meet one Friday morning per month (September, October, November and December) for 3.5-4 hours for highly interactive in-depth faculty-led sessions that allow for application and integration of the tools and knowledge. Prior to each in-residence session, participants will engage in asynchronous online, faculty-facilitated sessions, utilizing videos, readings, assignments and discussion boards with peers and faculty to learn fundamentals and implement team action learning projects to apply concepts.
FAPDD will pay 50% of the program costs and departments will be expected to cover the other 50% of the program costs (through CME or other departmental funds). The cost to departments will depend on cohort size, but will not exceed $1,000.
Financial Acumen, Intrapreneurship and Innovation, Work-Life Integration and Lean training.
Information sessions (optional):
Program sessions will be held on Fridays during the following month:
- September 10, 2021
- October 8, 2021
- November 12, 2021
- December 3, 2021
Nomination process and steps
- Step 1 – A one-page document (max. 500 words) describing your career goals as it relates to this curriculum.
- Step 2 – (Department of Medicine Applicants only) Contact your Division or Section Chief. Their approval and a short nomination is required.
Deadline for nominations: April 15th