Internal Search Job Advertisement
Associate Dean for Wellness, IU School of Medicine
Chief Wellness Officer, IU Health Physicians
IU School of Medicine and IU Health Physicians seek a highly accomplished physician executive to develop a vision and wellness strategy for the school and practice plan. The inaugural Associate Dean for Wellness at the IU School of Medicine (IUSM) will also serve as Chief Wellness Officer for IU Health Physicians (IUHP), fostering wellness to mitigate burnout among learners, faculty, physicians, and advanced practice providers employed by IUSM and/or IUHP.
The Associate Dean and Chief Wellness Officer is a 50% FTE administrative position; existing IUHP providers and IUSM faculty are encouraged to apply to this internal search. This position reports to the Executive Associate Dean of IUSM’s Faculty Affairs, Professional Development, and Diversity (FAPDD) and the Vice President of Human Resources and Chief of Staff of IU Health Physicians. This position will provide administrative decision-making, leadership, and operational planning involving the efficient and productive use of personnel, material, and financial resources. Both IUSM and IUHP are committed to the success and wellness of their shared community. IUSM invests heavily in efforts to foster faculty and learner vitality through FAPDD. IUHP recently launched a major initiative to assess burnout and foster wellness among its members through a focus on creating a culture of wellness, improving the efficiency of practice, self-care and resiliency. At this juncture, the Associate Dean and Chief Wellness Officer will build upon these efforts by spearheading innovative, coordinated, and aligned initiatives to address physical, emotional, intellectual, and social wellness needs of the members of the IUSM and IUHP community. S/he will establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with internal and external constituents, focusing on direct responsibility for IUSM/IUHP wellness needs while coordinating activities with clinical partners.
- Establish the vision and strategic plan for coordinated statewide wellness efforts for IUSM and IUHP; drive the development of clearly articulated wellness-related goals and metrics to be monitored for continuous improvement; ensure alignment and integration with the enterprise strategic plan
- Lead a steering committee which will be advisory to the strategic plan and its execution
- Collaborate with key groups, committees, and constituents in the development and implementation of programs and initiatives. Examples include but are not limited to IUSM Mental Health Services; Medical Student Affairs; Graduate Medical Education; Faculty Affairs, Professional Development, and Diversity; Faculty Development Coordinating Committee; IUH Medical Staff Office
- Serve on relevant IUSM and IUHP planning and policymaking committees
- Represent IUSM/IUHP in state and national health and academic medicine wellness-related organizations and initiatives
- Explore, through literature reviews, action research, program evaluation, and networking, innovative ways of thinking about, conducting, and evaluating wellness initiatives
- Remain current on research regarding wellness efforts in academic medicine and contribute regularly to the local, national, and international understanding of the issue through dissemination of efforts in presentations, peer-reviewed publications, and internal documents and reports; where possible, seek extramural funding to support such efforts
- MD or DO, board certified, preferably with an active practice; licensed to practice in the state of Indiana; Meets all criteria for membership of medical staff.
- Requires minimum of 5 years’ experience within an academic medicine group practice.
- Requires experience in wellness and strategic planning.
Indiana University and Indiana University Health are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
To apply for this position, please include (1) a letter of interest noting key leadership experiences, and (2) a curriculum vitae, please be sure to combine both documents into a single PDF file. Once completed, upload them to the application link below. The position will be open until filled.