Women's Advisory Council
The Women's Advisory Council provides a critical advisory role for the School’s efforts to create a culture where all members of the IUSM community can thrive.
The IUSM Women's Advisory Council was established in the Fall of 2006 to provide needed guidance for achieving these goals. The inaugural Chair was Karen West, MD. The Council has 39 appointed members and is co-chaired by Susan Cordes, MD and Julie Welch, MD. Click here for a current roster of Council members.
Current priorities for the Council include: a) institutional barriers that disproportionately affect women (such as flexibility in career paths and part-time faculty issues), b) advancement and mentoring, c) leadership training opportunities, and d) building high-impact communication strategies for the Council.
Links of interest:
- Increase of Women Faculty from 2008-2012
- OFAPD and Women's Advisory Council Receive the 2009 AAMC Women in Medicine Leadership Award
- Committee Members
- Advisory Council/Program CV
List of Programs
The Women's Advisory Council co-sponsors several events with the Office of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development, such as:
- Annual women faculty leadership development workshop
- Luncheons featuring interviews with women in leadership positions
- Facilitation of women faculty attendance at national professional development conferences
- Nomination of women faculty for awards
- The “History of Women at IUSM” project
- Advocacy related to institutional policies