Although each faculty member’s retirement situation is unique, all faculty are advised to begin the process early and work closely with their department’s administrative team to ensure a successful transition.
Important transition issues items such as closing accounts and awards, decommissioning labs and identifying postretirement scholarly activities.
The Pathway to Retirement
Please consider the following information as you transition through retirement:
- Learn more about the IU phased retirement program. View the procedures and the FAQ.
- Interested in being an Emeritus faculty member? Read about the IU School of Medicine Emeritus Faculty Procedures.
- Use the Sample Resignation Letter template to notify your department chair about your proposed plan for retirement.
- See below for documents and policies around closing or transitioning a laboratory.
- Apply for social security benefits
- Review and confirm medical and dental carrier at least one month prior to retirement
- Arrange an optional exit interview with FAPDD by contacting Tracy Gossett, Executive Administrative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Understand your IU technology privileges. Explore technology privileges for IU retirees.
- If applicable, notify IU Health Physicians (IUHP) Notification for Retirement (Clinical Faculty), contact Troy Taylor, HR Director for IUHP at ttaylo10@IUHealth.org.