The Indy Pride Festival and Parade is an annual event held at Military Park, across the street from the IUPUI Campus. In 2019 the Parade saw over 50,000 spectators. The Indy Pride Parade is one of the largest parades in Indiana with over 150 units. Indy Pride, Inc., exists to unite the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ) community and allies of Central Indiana through leadership development, educational and support programs, and community events that achieve inclusivity, equality, strong community connections, and awareness of LGBTQ issues.
The Indiana University School of Medicine, on behalf of The Trustees of Indiana University (“IU”), is facilitating participation by interested participants representing the Indiana University School of Medicine in the Indy Pride Parade on June 13, 2020, with travel to and from downtown Indianapolis on June 13, 2020 (“Parade”).
In consideration of the services to be rendered by IU in organizing the Field Trip and in consideration of my participation in the Field Trip, I hereby agree to the following:
1. I understand that the University is not providing transportation for the Parade and that it is up to me whether I travel on my own and/or use my vehicle; or travel in a vehicle owned and/or driven by a friend, classmate or any other individual.
2. I understand activities for the Parade may include, but are not limited to, the following: travel to, from, and during the Parade (by car, taxi, bus, boat, or walking); physical activities (e.g., running, hiking, swimming, water sports, etc.); physical exertion such as lifting or moving heavy objects; spending extended periods of time outdoors being exposed to the elements (sun, wind, rain); consumption of food and/or beverage; and the following additional activities: riding on a parade float, drowning, fire, or other emergency.
3. I understand that certain risks are inherent in travel and participation in the Parade. These risks may include, but are not limited to, such things as incidents related to outdoor adventure activities, including sprains, broken bones, cuts, bruises, entrapment, temporary or permanent disability, and/or death; transportation; driver error; adverse weather conditions; exposure to theft and other criminal activity; allergic reactions to food and drink items; other physical, mental, and emotional injury; other risks and dangers, whether known or unknown nor reasonably foreseeable; and the following additional risks: drowning, injuries related to falling from a parade float, fire or other emergency.
4. I understand that some drivers of the vehicles in which I ride on this Parade, the owners, employees, officers or agents of any attraction, enterprise or vendor of which I take part or participate during the Parade, the staff/employees of any hotel at which I stay, the staff/employees of any site I may visit, the other participants of the Parade (whether associated with my group or not), and other third parties (collectively, “Third Parties”), are not the agents or employees of IU and that dangers may be caused by the negligent or intentional act(s) or omissions of such Third Parties. I understand that IU is not responsible for any injuries or property damage that may be caused by the acts or omissions of such Third Parties.
5. I understand that my participation in this Parade is entirely voluntary and at my own risk. I fully understand the scope of the activities and the potential risks involved in the Parade. I agree to assume the risks of my participation in the Parade, including the risk of catastrophic injury or death.
6. I understand and agree that IU does not provide insurance to cover medical expenses for injuries that may be sustained by me or for damage to my personal property, and that IU strongly recommends that I carry my own health, medical, and property insurance for purposes of potential losses related to this Parade.
7. I fully understand that all IU policies and regulations, including those embodied in the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct, are in effect and apply to my behavior for the entire duration of the Parade. I understand that any violations of these policies and regulations may result in sanctions up to and including, in appropriate circumstances, referral to the Indiana University Police Department and/or the Office of Student Ethics for disciplinary action.
8. I hereby release and fully discharge The Trustees of Indiana University, including its officers, agents, and employees, from any and all claims or causes of action that may be brought by me or by any other person (including, but not limited to, my estate, family, successors, heirs, representatives, administrators, and/or assigns), including all liability for damage to personal property, personal injury or loss arising out of or related to my participation in the Parade to the fullest extent permitted by law.
9. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed under the laws of Indiana. Notwithstanding any other agreement that I have signed related to this Parade that purports to establish the venue for any litigation arising from this Parade, I agree that I will file no action against IU or its officers, employees, and agents, whether based on this Agreement or in any way otherwise connected to this Parade, in any court other than the Circuit Court of Monroe County, Indiana.
10. I authorize IU, acting through its agents, employees, or representatives, to take photograph, video, and/or audio recordings of me, including my name, image, likeness, performance, and/or voice (“Recordings”). I also grant IU an unlimited right to reproduce, use, exhibit, display, perform, broadcast, create derivative works from, and distribute the Recordings in any manner or media now existing or hereafter developed, in perpetuity, throughout the world. I agree that the Recordings may be used by IU, including its assigns and transferees, for any purpose, including but not limited to, marketing, advertising, publicity, or other promotional purposes. I agree that IU will have final editorial authority over the use of the Recordings, and I waive any right to inspect or approve of any future use of the Recordings. I acknowledge that I am not expecting to receive compensation for participating in the Recordings or for any future use of the Recordings. I release and fully discharge IU, and its employees, agents, and representatives, from any claim, damages, or liability arising from or related to my participation in the Recordings or IU’s future use of the Recordings.
11. I have read this entire Agreement, I fully understand it, and I agree to be bound by it. I represent and certify that my true age is at least 18 years old or, if I am under 18 years old on this date, my parent or legal guardian has also signed the Agreement.