The Evans Fellowship in Health Care Leadership provides funding for the full tuition and fees to complete the Business of Medicine Physician MBA program from the IU Kelley School of Business, along with extensive coaching, networking and mentoring opportunities. The application deadline is April 1st.
Indiana University School of Medicine and Indiana University Health need physicians in administrative positions that are well-prepared to provide effective, strategic leadership. Named in honor of Daniel F. Evans, Jr., JD, President Emeritus of Indiana University Health, the Evans Fellowship program is designed to provide a mid/senior physician faculty member with executive education, personal leadership assessments and coaching, and structured networking and mentoring opportunities. These learning experiences will support the fellow to:
- Develop a broader institutional perspective.
- Expand the vision of their role within their academic health center.
- Enhance their leadership effectiveness, understanding of the business of medicine and ability to lead organizational change.
Why be an Evans Fellow?
- Develop the professional and personal skills required to lead and manage in today’s complex and fast-changing academic health center environment.
- Gain leadership training including structured coursework leading to a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from the IU Kelley School of Business of Medicine program.
- Grow professionally through extensive coaching, networking and mentoring opportunities.
- Become equipped with greater business acumen, broader organizational perspectives and deeper personal capacity to address emerging issues in the school, health care system and society.
“I was motivated to participate in the Evans Fellowship because I was taking on big administrative roles which in many ways straddle IU Health/IU Health Physicians and IU School of Medicine. I sought to enhance my skill set not only for my own growth, but to be a more effective leader in the system. In addition to the benefits of an exceptional MBA program, the mentoring and opportunities to observe senior-level meetings have broadened my perspective greatly.” —Sara Jo Grethlein, MD
- Must hold a MD or DO degree (or equivalent if the medical degree was obtained outside of the United States)
- Must be dually employed with IU School of Medicine and IU Health Physicians
- Must hold the rank of associate or full professor
- Have some administrative experience (e.g., some level of personnel and budget management)
Learn more about the application process by clicking here.
David Hains, MD
Clint Cary, MD, MPH
2020 – 2022
Christian C. Strachan, MD
2019 – 2021
Andrew Jea, MD
2018 – 2020
Alan P. Ladd, MD
Sara Jo Grethlein, MD
DANIEL F. EVANS, JR., JD PRESIDENT EMERITUS OF IU HEALTH
Evans is the former chief executive officer for the IU Health statewide system. Previously, he served as President and Chief Executive Officer of IU Health (then Clarian Health) from November 2002 until September 2015. Prior to IU Health, he was a partner at the law firm of Faegre Baker Daniels LLP (formerly Baker & Daniels LLP) in Indianapolis. Since the organization’s inception in 1997, Evans has been active on the Board of Directors and served as its Chair immediately before his appointment as Chief Executive Officer of the health care system. Over the course of his career, Evans was also a member or chair of several other boards including the Federal Housing Finance Board, Federal Home Loan Bank of Indianapolis Board, Methodist Hospital of Indiana, Inc Board of Directors, Methodist Health Group, Inc., Methodist Medical Group, United States Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and Executive Committee, American Hospital Association Regional Policy Board for Metropolitan Hospitals, Indiana Hospital Association, Indiana Public Health Institute, Indiana Health Information Exchange, Central Indiana Corporate Partnership, BioCrossroads, and numerous community organizations.
Evans currently serves as Executive-in-Residence, Office of the Dean, Adjunct Professor of Medicine and Adjunct Professor of Law at the IU McKinney School of Law.