The purpose of the scholar educator award is to recognize faculty who go beyond simply teaching and approach education in a scholarly manner. This prestigious award acknowledges faculty who approach teaching and learning from a scholarly lens. Honorees are consistently noted for their teaching effectiveness, commitment to learning, educational leadership, scholarly activity related to teaching and learning, and passion for biomedical education. These awards allow the IU School of Medicine to honor and celebrate the scholarly contributions of educators.Nomination Due: Saturday June 1st, 2019
One recipient will be selected per year. Each award recipient will be honored with a monetary award in the amount of $1,500 and will be highlighted on the FAPDD website.
Criteria for Award:
The awards are designed to honor educators in the IU School of Medicine community who study education and the impact that teaching has on learning outcomes. The scholar educator award will be given to one faculty member who can demonstrate excellence in teaching by way of:
- Teaching goals and methods/philosophy of teaching statement.
- Evidence of learning.
- Teaching innovations.
- Continual professional development as educator.
- Educational leadership.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (data from evaluations).
- Serving as a catalyst for the enhancement of teaching.
- Teaching publications.
- Teaching presentations.
- Teaching grants.
- Teaching awards.
Eligibility for Nomination:
Any full, part-time or volunteer faculty member who has taught in the IU School of Medicine for at least three years is eligible. Past years winners of the award are not eligible. Faculty who believe they meet the award criteria are asked to prepare their nomination materials. An award may be conferred only once to a faculty member, however, a nomination will remain active for a three (3) year period. Candidates will be invited to update their nomination packet but will not be required to do so. While not required, it is recommended that candidates update their nomination materials.
Nomination Packet and Procedures:
There will be an open call for nominations in InScope, electronic list serves, and via the FAPDD website. Self-nominations should be submitted to Faculty Affairs | Professional Development | Diveristy via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The nomination packet must include:
- No more than a two page typed letter from the candidate, which should provide a summary of the ways in which he/she meets the stated criteria.
- A one to two-page philosophy of teaching statement prepared by the candidate.
- A summary of teaching evaluations from no less than the past three years.
- Two to three letters of support: at least one from a former or current learner and one from the candidate’s chair or center/division director. The letters should provide examples of how the candidate has excelled as a scholarly teacher and the impact his/her teaching has had on the career development and success of others.
- A copy of the candidate’s CV.
- Copies of no more than two teaching-related publications.
- Photo of the candidate in jpg format, which will be added to the FAPDD webpage.
Nominations will be reviewed and selected by the IU School of Medicine Teaching Awards Committee members.
Award winners will be announced at the 2019 Fall Faculty Meeting.
|2017 Winner||Richard B. Gunderman, M.D., Ph.D., IUPUI Chancellor’s Professor, John A. Campbell Professor of Radiology, Professor of Radiology & Imaging Sciences, Professor of Pediatrics, Professor of Medical Education, Professor of Philosophy, School of Liberal Arts, Professor of Medical Humanities & Health Studies, School of Liberal Arts|
|2016 Winner||Joseph S. Turner, M.D., Director, Assistant Professor of Clinical Emergency Medicine|
|2015 Winner||Mark W. Braun, M.D., Director, Medical Pathology, Medical Sciences Program, Professor of Medical Pathology, Medical Sciences Program|
|2014 Winner||Valerie D. O’Loughlin, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Anatomy & Cell Biology, Medical Sciences Program, Director, Undergraduate Studies, Medical Sciences Program|
- Scholar Educator Award
- Campus-wide Awards
- Deb Cowley Staff Leadership Award
- Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Awards
- Exemplar of Professionalism: Honor Roll
- Inspirational Educator Award
- Lynn Wakefield Unsung Hero Staff Award
- Mark Brothers Award
- Outstanding Community Engagement Award
- Steven C. Beering Award
- Trustee’s Teaching Award
- University Distinguished Professorship & Teaching Awards