The Faculty Community Relations Committee (FCRC) Award for Outstanding Community Engagement was established to recognize and encourage exceptional community engagement by Indiana University School of Medicine faculty in activities such as, but not limited to, volunteerism, community-based learning or research, outreach, partnerships, and curricular engagement.
Brownsyne Tucker Edmonds, MD
The 2020 Outstanding Community Engagement Award recipient is Brownsyne Tucker Edmonds, MD, Assistant Dean for Diversity Affairs, Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Associate Professor of Pediatrics.
One recipient will be selected and be honored with a monetary award and be recognized at the Fall All School Meeting.
Criteria for Award:
The recipient will excel in creative leadership, innovation and long-term effectiveness in advancing the FCRC’s and IU School of Medicine’s Mission and academic and clinical endeavors in the community, and will position the IU School of Medicine as a leader in the community engagement field.
The applicant should work with at least one community partner external to the University, be operating within the target community with measurable results, and have demonstrated capacity building. Preference will be given to applicants who contribute to scholarship, teaching and/or research. Additional criteria that will be considered include applicants who:
- Extend the university’s core values.
- Demonstrate a significant impact with a tangible benefit to the community.
- Promote the well-being, health and development of the community.
- Involve a community partnership.
- Focus on a specific community-identified need or opportunity.
- Foster an exchange of knowledge and expertise amongst partners.
- Enhance opportunities for students and staff to participate in community-based learning, service and/or research activities.
- Contribute to the enhancement of the IUSM’s reputation as actively and meaningfully engaged with its community and region.
- Demonstrate sustained scholarship, research and significant capacity building.
- Demonstrate long-term community engagement commitment that is measurable, relevant, sustainable, reflective and reciprocal.
- Evidence excellent stakeholder engagement and satisfaction.
- Demonstrate the ability to influence public policy and practice nationally and/or internationally in relation to community engagement.
- Evidence attraction and retention of volunteer participation.
Eligibility for Nomination:
Any Faculty member (at any level) of the IU School of Medicine who has been employed for at least 12 months may nominate someone for, or be nominated for the award. Previous award recipients are not eligible to apply for this award cycle. However, previous nominations are encouraged to resubmit. Self-nominations are welcome.
Nomination Packet and Procedures:
There will be an open call for nominations in INScope, electronic list serves, and via the FAPDD website. Nominations should be submitted to Faculty Affairs, Professional Development, and Diversity by mail or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The nomination packet must include:
- No more than a two (2) page typed nomination letter for the candidate.
- Include a copy of the candidate’s CV.
- Letter of Support from the candidate’s chair, director, or professional colleague.
Nominations will be reviewed and selected by the Faculty Community Relations Committee members.
Nominations due July 2, 2021
Award winners are normally announced at the 2021 Fall All School Meeting.
Nominations should be submitted to Faculty Affairs, Professional Development, and Diversity by email at email@example.com.
|2019 Winner||Javier F. Sevilla-Martir, MD, Assistant Dean for Diversity Affairs, Professor of Underserved Indiana Patients, Professor of Clinical Family Medicine|
|2018 Winner||Deborah K. Hamby, MHS, MD, Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics|
|2017 Winner||Anna Maria V. Storniolo, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine|
|2016 Winner||Dan P. O’Donnell, M.D., Associate Professor of Clinical Emergency Medicine|
|2015 Winner||Nancy L. Swigonski, M.D., Professor, School of Public Health, Professor of Pediatrics|
|2014 Winner||Ernest F. Talarico, Jr., Ph.D., Associate Director for Education, IUSM-Northwest-Gary, Associate Professor of Anatomy & Cell Biology, IUSM-Nortwest-Gary|
echo $parent_title; ?>
- Outstanding Staff Commitment to Diversity Award
- Scholar Educator Award
- Volunteer & Adjunct Faculty Teaching Awards (VFTA)
- Campus-wide Awards
- Deb Cowley Staff Leadership Award
- Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Awards
- Exemplar of Professionalism: Honor Roll
- Inspirational Educator Award
- Lynn Wakefield Unsung Hero Staff Award
- Mark Brothers Award
- Outstanding Community Engagement Award
- Steven C. Beering Award
- Trustees’ Teaching Award
- University Distinguished Professorship & Teaching Awards