IU School of Medicine is dedicated to supporting the vitality of faculty throughout their careers across the teaching, research and service missions. The annual faculty review is a key part of the career development process.
Annual reviews are required for full-time faculty, including tenure track, clinical track, research scientists and research professors, librarians, lecturers, and tenured full rank faculty. IU School of Medicine strongly recommends that all academic appointees receive an annual review.
Aside from being a requirement, the annual review affords an opportunity to provide mentoring and feedback, clarify expectations, and increase faculty engagement.
- Serve as an opportunity for a career development conversation regarding accomplishments, strengths, areas for improvement, goals and professional development needs.
- Assess progress toward promotion and/or tenure (if applicable).
- Clarify expectations and allocations of effort.
- Provide constructive feedback regarding performance across mission areas, and if areas for improvement are noted, to develop a plan for improvement.
Responsibilities of the faculty member
- Update your CV if needed in advance of the meeting.
- Complete the Faculty Annual Review Narrative Form and submit it to your chair, director, or his/her designee in advance of the meeting.
- Come prepared to discuss your:
- Accomplishments, strengths, areas of improvement, professional development needs, any challenges or obstacles encountered, and goals for the coming year.
- Effort allocations in all applicable mission areas.
- Timeline and progress toward promotion and/or tenure (if applicable).
- Consider ways your chair or others in the department or school can help you achieve your goals (i.e., more focused mentoring, sponsorship or nominations for opportunities, professional development courses/workshops, etc).
- In section I, you will have the option to respond to the chair’s, director’s, or designee’s assessment. If you would like to exercise this option, your response is due within two weeks of the annual review.
- Retain a signed copy for your records.
Responsibilities of the chair/regional center director or designee
- Review each faculty member’s Annual Faculty Review Narrative Form and any accompanying documents in advance of the meeting.
- Discuss the accomplishments, strengths, improvement areas, professional development needs, challenges or obstacles, and goals of the faculty member.
- Consider ways you may be able to help each faculty member achieve his/her goals (i.e., more focused mentoring, sponsorship or nominations for opportunities, professional development courses/workshops, etc).
- Discuss the timeline and progress toward promotion and/or tenure (if applicable). While you are not required to involve your primary committee in the annual review process, it is highly recommended for tenure track probationary faculty and/or when a review is borderline or negative.
- Clarify or confirm allocations of effort and expectations for performance in applicable mission areas.
- Provide feedback on whether the faculty member is meeting, below, or exceeding expectations. If below, discuss and document in section H the rationale and improvements needed.
- For faculty with appointments in a Center or Institute (e.g., Regenstrief Institute, Cancer Center, etc), obtain input from the Center or Institute Director as appropriate.
- Determine whether the overall performance is unsatisfactory, satisfactory, or excellent. Note that faculty can be assessed as below expectations in one or more mission area and be given an overall satisfactory evaluation with improvements needed.
- Provide the faculty member with the option to respond in writing (section I). If a faculty member chooses to exercise this option, his/her response is due within two weeks of the annual review.
- Sign the form, have the faculty member sign the form, make a copy for the faculty member, and add the original to the faculty member’s file.
- Submit to IU School of Medicine Faculty Affairs, Professional Development, and Diversity a certification memo stating that reviews of all appropriate faculty members have been conducted, that the signed original forms are in your files, and that a copy of the form has been provided to each individual involved.
Note: Regional campus deans have the responsibility for conducting annual reviews for full-time faculty appointed on their campus. For satisfactory reviews, the department chair’s signature is not required. When performance is less than satisfactory, the chair must co-sign the review and be involved in improvement plans. Copies of annual reviews should be kept on file at the regional campus and in the department’s files as well.
What to do in the case of a negative review
It is critically important to submit the names of faculty members receiving negative reviews along with copies of the negative annual reviews as soon as possible to Faculty Affairs, Professional Development, and Diversity and specifically to the Assistant Director of Faculty Systems. They will be forwarded to the Executive Associate Dean for FAPDD for action if required, and a copy will be placed in the faculty member’s file. If two consecutive negative reviews occur, a special review under the campus and school Faculty and Librarian Review and Enhancement policy is required. Your cooperation with the submission of negative reviews ensures monitoring and compliance with the Faculty and Librarian Review and Enhancement policy as required by the IUPUI Dean of the Faculties Office.
- IUPUI Faculty Guide
- Faculty and Librarian Annual Reviews University Policy ACA-21
- LCME Functions and Structure of a Medical School: Standards for Accreditation of Medical Education Programs Leading to the M.D. Degree – Element 4.4 Feedback to Faculty