In order to avoid negative or “toxic” mentoring experiences, it is imperative to watch out for these pitfalls:
- Mismatch (or bad chemistry) between mentor and mentee
- Unrealistic expectations or unclear goals for relationship
- Time constraints or time demands (spending too much or too little time)
- Abuse of power in the relationship
- Charges of favoritism
- Cultural barriers
- Competition between the mentor and mentee
- Mentor does not promote the mentee’s ideas or takes credit for the work.
- Conflict between the mentor and the mentee’s supervisor
- Sexual harassment
Eby LT, Allen TD. Further investigation of protégés negative mentoring experiences: patterns and outcomes. Group and Organizational Management. 2002;27(4).